Recent Posts

Saturday, April 16, 2011

15 minutes or more saved me on my car...but not insurance

here's the fun adventure I had this week

{background story}
last year, I went to St. George and on the drive home my "check engine" light came on and wouldn't go away.  I drove into town and took my car to a Japanese car repair shop to ask them what the dealio was with Eunice (yes, my cars name is Eunice).  The dude at the shop told me I needed to get my catalytic converter fixed.
cost?  $1200.  TWELVE-HUNDRED bones.  Now, if you're anything like me, you probably can calculate that that is like a whole new wardrobe from Nordies, Forever 21, Target, Banana.  I mean, come on.
{back to real life time}

I got the oil in my car changed last Saturday morning. No biggie, right?
wrong.

i have been driving a ton the past week and as I was getting on the freeway, I noticed a really horrible smell coming into my car. I thought it may have been the old truck in front of me. Well, I shrugged it off.

then I was driving somewhere again and the smell came back (this time, no old car in front of me)

so I called the oil place and told them my story. I took my car in and had them look at it. The sweet little guy came inside and told me that my oil cap was missing and that there was oil all over my engine. He felt so terrible I could tell, he kept apologizing and telling me how sorry he was. To make up for the mistake, and for my lack of breathing well, he was going to order me a new cap (free of charge), top off the leaked oil (free of charge) and vacuum my car.

As I patiently waited, he comes back inside and tells me that he noticed my emissions test paperwork from the state that hadn't been completed yet.
My heart sank into my stomach.
April is the month I HAVE to get the catalytic converter fixed in my car.
April is the month my bank account loses $1200.
I am so not looking forward to that dreadful day.
As I have the pit in my stomach and look at the guy and just tell him "sure, try and pass my car"

He comes back and said I was all set to go.  The car passed. The oil is changed. The car is clean............................................................................
.............................................................
..........................................
..........................
............
......
.
 As he's talking, all I can do is just stare. 


My car did what? My car PASSED?!
are you joking me?
where is Ashton Kutcher, because I think I'm being PUNKD.

after I gathered my thoughts, I just smiled and said, "what? you're sure thats right?" he said, "Yeah. Um, your car is just fine Miss"

I was so excited I almost started doing a little dance in the store
He then proceeds to tell me that he won't charge me for the emissions test either because of the spilled oil incident.  He sends me on my merry little way.
$1225 still in my bank account.
And making me one of the happiest ladies alive.

Am I a LUCKY LADY or what?!
Getting your oil spilled on the engine could potentially save you $1225 bones.

I am so happy and cannot believe my luck.

whew!

1 comments:

Alexis Kaye said...

How amazing! I had something like that happen to me a few weeks ago. The post title was "Life's little miracles" I'm so happy for you!!! WOOOT!! Now time to hit up Nordies!